Tuesday, June 05, 2007

No More IV

The big news is, I am done with the IV antibiotics. After about ten weeks, I am no longer receiving intravenous antibiotics. Today we went to see the Infectious Disease Doctor, and she cleared me to go on an oral antibiotic for a few weeks. She also removed my IV port (or "midline" in medical terminology), which was a 20-centimeter catheter in my left arm, attached to a screw-top valve that connected to the IV tubing.

It is quite a relief to be rid of the midline. It is a relief to be rid of the weekly home nurse visits to change the dressing on the midline. It is a great relief to be rid of the thrice-daily antibiotics.

Originally, my IV was scheduled to end on May 31. In the week leading up to then, we called and called to get an appointment with Dr. Infectious Diseases -- we never got a reply, but on May 30 the pharmacy people called and said, "We just learned that your IV has been extended to June 5; we'll make an emergency delivery of supplies tonight." Soon after that, Dr. Infectious Diseases' office called to confirm my appointment on June 5 (first we'd heard of it!)

My theory is that Dr. Infectious Diseases dropped the ball on scheduling me to come in before May 31, then decided that she couldn't terminate the IV without seeing me. June 5 was the first day that was convenient for her.

I've been joking that my IV was extended for five days for a perfectly valid medical reason: to provide coverage for this Doctor's ass. :)

In other news, on Monday I started wearing my regular shoes. Up until now I've been using a sort of velcro boot with a flat board as a sole. Dr. Giardina said that the foot would feel better once it had some arch support, and he was right! There is still some pain, but nothing like before.

Before today's doctor appointment, Dad came to get me and we went to breakfast at Denny's. This has been our Tuesday morning ritual for almost two years now, although we stopped going when I went in the hospital. Now this is the second week in a row that we've gone, so I feel we're back on schedule. (Dad turned 80 this year, so I really treasure these breakfasts.)

And after today's appointment, Thomas and I went to Cosmic Comix in Catonsville, where we picked up some comics that I've missed over the last few weeks.

Finally, the big news is that I am scheduled to go back to work on Monday, June 11. I will be working part-time at first, sort of playing it by ear, but I suspect that it won't be too long before I'm back to full time. I have mixed feelings about this -- I'm coming up on 27 years with the Library, and will be eligible for retirement in 3 more years. Much as this enforced sick time has been a pain, if I look at it as practice for retirement...well, I think I'm ready.

One thing is sure: I have come to realize that there are many more important things in life than a job. But more of that later. For now, I'm going to luxuriate in the thought that I don't have to worry about my next IV.

1 comment:

Betts4 said...

Okay Don, its UPDATE time!!! Whats up with your foot, your job, your life, your sugar level, your beard?
We want to know!